Wednesday, September 17, 2014

||Revisiting A Distant Memory||

To many, China Town is a popular tourist attraction which, it definitely is but almost everyday when I walk past it, it reminds me of Uzbekistan. I grew up in Uzbekistan for ten years before I moved to Carpinteria California and that was a very different experience. Unique, amazing, beautiful, hard and unforgettable are a few words I would use to describe my childhood. Often when I reflect on my years living in Central Asia I stumble upon some pretty rad memories. Among many of those crazy memories, lie's a very vivid one which involved "bazaars".

Bazaars are sort of like farmers markets except a lot bigger, dirtier, louder, and just a bit more intense. Basically if you speak English or any other foreign language and don't know how to bargain you were in for a lot more than just a trip to the outdoor grocery store. I don't know how my petite, Slovak mom did it with three children for ten years but she did and looking back it gives me even more respect for her than I already had.

It's weird how areas of a city can trigger memories and take you back to a moment in time that hasn't been revisited in a while. Often I do this through photos but when it happens differently every so often I don't mind it!

Two more days until Friday

-DG





No comments:

Post a Comment