Saturday, October 4, 2014

||The Real Deal||

Today, I decided to switched it up from my usual sauteed veggies, noodles and meat. I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could make an actual meal, and for me that means using ingredients like flour and kitchen appliances such as the stove. So I first went to the internet to see what easy chicken pasta recipes there were out there and after seeing too many lists of ingredients that I didn't have, I decicded to call the best chef in the world (A.K.A my mom).

My mom has a way with making cooking seem simple and of course had an easy dish for me to make with almost all the ingredients that I already had, except for the dreaded flour. But remember, that was one of the required ingredients I needed in order to successfully complete my challenge! So I went out and got some.

With everything ready to go (or so I thought) I headed downstairs and started to set up. Realizing I had left three key ingredients, I called my roommate and had her send them down through the elevator (which goes directly to the basement, where the community kitchen is) and finally had everything.

Starting with the sauce I put 1 cup of milk, a table spoon of flour and a little bit of cheese in. First mistake; I started out by making the sauce. Second mistake; I was not watching the sauce or stirring it and the whole thing turned into a liquidy, weird mess. I moved on and sauteed two pieces of chicken as well as started on the noodles. While those two were doing their thing, I cut up some squash and onion to ad to the pasta. In time everything started coming together and I decided to give the sauce another go. This time I added everything in, stirred it the whole time and the end result was a nice white cheese sauce!

With all the individual components ready, I threw them into a pan and put it in the oven for about 20 minutes and tada, I've officially made my first real meal!
 
So easy a college student can make it!

-DG


No comments:

Post a Comment