Thursday, May 11, 2017

||Precious Treasures||

"There is a giving to serve others and there is a giving to serve oneself. There is a giving to promote and a giving to dominate. But without love, there is only paternalism and self-importance. There is only a giving of surplus, not the giving of precious treasures"

I read this, in F. Kefa Sempangi's book, A Distant Grief this morning. It convicted me and served as a reminder. Oddly though, not beckoning me to give money to a charity or go out, and do something dramatic but rather look at the ways I was praying.   

I realized that though God cares so much about me personally and loves to hear my cries, it's also easy for me to get stuck in praying selfishly. 

I believe there's a time and a place to look inward and focus on oneself, but just as important is to intercede for others. Sometimes, things or money isn't what God requires of us in our generosity. Sure, He uses that and it's good, but He also cares about the thoughts we have towards the people around us. 

And it's all of equal importance to Him as we're choosing to obey and become more like Him.  
 

God is so gracious in His reminders. 


Happy Thursday!


-DG

No comments:

Post a Comment