Thursday, January 12, 2017

||Dirty Feet||

Here my feet get dirty kabisa! Kabisa means completely and its sort of a common descriptive word used at the end of sentences to give them more umph. Until now I never liked dirty feet. I still love the feeling of going to bed with fresh clean feet, but during the day I’m ok with letting the dust settle until then.

It’s been fun wearing mix-match outfits and enjoying company without feeling nervous about one noticing a shirt I had worn two days in a row. I miss the fun of being trendy and dressing up but today I feel free to enjoy the wardrobe I have, to the fullest.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all look different for me. Twice a week I go to town and have Swahili lessons with Mama Lois. Mama Lois is an Mze (old) prayer warrior as well as an excellent Mwalimu (teacher). Sometimes after those lessons I’ll chill at a hotel near by getting in some reading time or just sit and process. A couple of days a week I’ll work around the staffs’ schedule to try and squeeze in some English lessons. I’ve never taught English until now and I’m probably the worlds’ worst speller (praise the Lord for auto correct) but I’m praying that somehow God will use my short random lessons to bless them.

On the land, I’ll help Tammy with random tasks never forgetting to laugh or talk about whatever is on our minds. Other days I’ll help Peter with paper work. Often, I try to carve out time to talk to family and friends on the other side.

I use to hate running but over the last two years’ pole pole (slowly) God’s been molding me to like it. Ten minutes is all I do but it helps and Tammy has recently joined my routine making a tedious task more fun.

The best is when we go out to the bush (Maasai land), about two-hours north from where we live in Arusha and visit people The Russells have poured into for years. The photo opportunities are every photographers’ dream. The culture is raw and beautiful and the Maasai know how to thrive on bare necessities. I’ve also had the privilege of watching water tanks being installed in certain areas and I can’t believe I get to witness life changing development like that.

Then of course there’s the fun hours of piki (motorcycle) rides.  Enough said.

On Friday nights, I help with youth group, put on by seven Americans from CRU. Beth, Andrew, Hailey, Kirsten, Kendra, Austin and Tyler are here for a little less than a year and it’s been so fun getting to know them and grow in new friendships. My heart has also been blessed getting to know international high school students and encourage their personal relationships with Jesus as most of their families are here for missions.  

I am so thankful for the friendships made here.

The hard days don’t go unseen though. I’ve had to submit to uncontrollable tears running down my face quite a bit, just ask Peter and Tammy or Tabitha. Actually, anyone who knows me. But I’ve learned that I need those moments to cope with the unknown. Being vulnerable has relieved me of a lot of worry and saved many hairs on my head. But I’m still growing in that area.

It’s only been three months but it feels like years, with memories that keep me smiling in random moments. The season of San Francisco seems so far away, high school even further and Uzbekistan a life time ago!  

It’s true that the calling God has on our lives include hardships but I would never trade those as I’ve also experienced the fullness He promises along with them. I don’t know what life holds after this year, after San Francisco I thought I would be in the city for life and now I could say the same about Africa.

Wherever God has me next I know His grace will cover me there.

And for now, I’ll enjoy my dirty feet.

-DG 

No comments:

Post a Comment